Unexpectedly tall flower spike

Home Forums General Orchid Care Unexpectedly tall flower spike

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Natalia Natalia 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Madison
    Madison
    Participant

Hallo! New to the hobby and forums in general, looking for some insight. Bought two discount no-id (and what I believe to be) oncidium type orchids. Had lovely root growth, nice juicy psudobulbs…then they started to spike! I was so excited to see the flowers to try and identify the orchid. BUT these fricken spikes are TALL! 80cm or 2.7 ft. and counting. I don’t know about you but that seems super tall to me?? I’ve never seen that except on a big phal. The beginning of buds is JUST starting so maybe it’ll stop vertical growth? I thought maybe they are reaching for more light than the sun can provide through my window? Did I overfertilize? Is it just genetics and too bad for me and my limited space? Sorry for the ignorance and thank you in advanced for any information.
    -Maddie

Profile photo of Natalia
    Natalia
    Participant

I have the same issue on few of my oncidiumds. It is not their first bloom in my care, but for some reason this time spikes are extremely long and not in a good way. It is not Shari Baby. They are some typed of Wilsonera or Colmanera, so spiked not supposed to be so long. Not sure what it is, but would like to know.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.