support "cages" for Oncidiums?

Home Forums Orchid Alliances Oncidium Alliance support "cages" for Oncidiums?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of jennlevy jennlevy 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jennlevy
    jennlevy
    Participant

In some of Dani’s videos, I see unruly onc leaves held inside something that looks like a green wire cage, a halo with uprights that are inserted at a few edges of the pot. What are these? Is this a standard orchid product and where can I get one? I just got a big oncidium which is someone staying upright but has a big mass of leaves that probably should be contained. Thanks!

Jenn

Profile photo of HildeWilkens
    HildeWilkens
    Participant

Hi Jenn,
    I’m not real sure what you are talking about – maybe post a link of a video where you have seen it.
    I do know that Danni sometimes uses wire to keep ”unruly” orchids in place. – she makes that herself – just wire that she attaches to the upper airholes of her pot and around the pseudobulbs of the orchids – but that doesn’t really looks like a cage as you are talking about.
    Hilde

Profile photo of Pauline K
    Pauline K
    Participant

If you are thinking about what I think you are, ie: several horizontal hoops connected by (usually, sometimes more) 4 vertical struts that encircle the plant, holding the foliage upright, they’re not so much an “orchid” product as they are a general product for potted plants that need a little support, and that are perhaps not suited to staking. Most garden centres would stock something similar

Profile photo of jennlevy
    jennlevy
    Participant

Thank you both!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.