Saved from Root Rot, now what?

Home Forums General Orchid Care Saved from Root Rot, now what?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Kaye Kaye 3 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Kaye
    Kaye
    Participant

Have a mini Phal that I bought at discount price, and it was looking very good at the time. After repotting in a suitable small pot that I had to fashion out of something else,I noticed the roots got very brown and mushy, and it was creeping up towards the top of the plant (flowers at this point had dropped off all at once!) Being a Newbie to this (bought my first mini phal in May this year) I had no idea what to do. Quick internet search gave me an article for root/crown rot treatment with Hydrogen Peroxide and Cinnamon. I started this treatment and used it for a week to 10 days, Lo and behold the rot stopped. Having checked the plant today it appears it has one good large green root, but other than that nothing. How should I proceed? Or is it just a wait and see game?
    Thank You
    Kaye

Profile photo of HildeWilkens
    HildeWilkens
    Participant

Hi Kaye,
    Great – you saved your orchid!!! Since you could stop the rootrot and you still have one good root left it has a chance. I would water as needed and fertilise it with higher nitrogen fertilizer ( stimulates growth of roots and foliage) – be carefull to use a low dosage to not burn the only good root.
    And most of all….patience….lol
    Succes and keep us posted!
    Hilde

Profile photo of Kaye
    Kaye
    Participant

Thank You. On inspecting this Phal over the past few weeks it has put out a new leaf growth. So as far as I can tell it seems to be happy 😊 Here’s hoping I can get it to flower eventually xx

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.