Is this fungus or root hairs?

Home Forums Problems, Pests & Diseases Is this fungus or root hairs?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ButterflyJak ButterflyJak 1 month ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Azalea
    Azalea
    Participant

Hi everyone,

This is my first time looking after an orchid so I’m not sure whether to be worried or not. I noticed that recently my orchid has grown some white furry patches on the roots. Most of the roots have grown this white fur and I can’t tell if it’s a fungus or dense patches of root hairs.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

Thanks!

Profile photo of Kaye
    Kaye
    Participant

If tbat was me, and I’m new to this too, I would be thinking ‘mealy bugs’ time to disinfect and repot in new media. Appatently Orchids ate very prone to Mealy bug infestations. So you’ll need to sterilise everything and spray the Orchid with a mineral oil I think it was. Check back through Danni’s videos there is one on Mealy bug infestations. Isolate it from your other plants though, as mealy bugs are insects and can crawl HTH Kaye xx

Profile photo of ButterflyJak
    ButterflyJak
    Participant

Looks like a fungus to me. I’ve had mealybugs and although they are the same colour they are distinctive little bugs. What media is it in? Is it getting too wet? Although the roots look silvery which would mean they need watering.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.