Hello from Québec!

Home Forums Introduction Hello from Québec!

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Leah Russell Leah Russell 3 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Camille
    Camille
    Participant

Bonjour !

I’m from Québec and I love orchids since I was young, but I never dared to try anything other than phals. Now that I’m experienced with phals, I’m ready to try some other types! If you have any advices for me, I would like to purchase a Zygopetalum and a Vanda. I have to say that I gros my orchids in my appartement.

Profile photo of Nicholas
    Nicholas
    Participant

Welcome Camille!

I dont’t actually have much time because I have work tomorrow and it’s late, but I’ll tell you as much as I can as quickly and simply as I can!

For Zygopetalums: They like bright sun, but not too bright. I have one that I keep inside near a window, but I’ve heard many times that taking them outside and placing them in a shady area (like under a tree) would be much better. As more the medium, being a terrestrial orchid which grows in the ground and likes a less-ariy medium, I use a 3 parts sphagnum moss, 1 part lava rocks, 1 part perlite, and just a handful of orchid mix (pine bark, charcoal, and coarse perlite) and it seems to be fairly happy in it. Also, never let the medium completely dry out. When you water it, make sure it is watered well then wait till the medium is ALMOST dry, then water it again.

For Vandas: Honestly, I don’t know as much about Vandas, but I do know some! Interestingly, Vanda orchids don’t generally like being planted in any medium. Many places sell pots called “Vanda baskets” that are really usually just wooden baskets with large slits in them. You can get one or even make one or use something like that and just place the orchid inside and let it grow. You could even put some large bark pieces inside just to hold the orchid in place a little better and to retain some moisture. That being said, with little or no medium, they need a LOT of water. Depending on your climate, you might need to water it once or eve twice a day. You can do this by taking the orchid and just letting it soak in water for about 20-30 minutes.

I hope all this helped! I don’t own any Vanda orchids myself, but recently purchased a Renanthera orchid which is actually part of the Vanda alliance, so I’ve been reading up a bit about their care.

Anyways, enjoy and good luck!
    -Nicholas

Profile photo of MissOrchidGirl
    MissOrchidGirl
    Keymaster

Hi Camille, welcome to our community 😀 it’s great that you want to try other orchids except Phals, to be honest though I’m not sure you picked the easiest ones, but they are not scary either :) many people grow Zygos very well in a home, I am not one of them yet lol, but trial and error is the key 😛 for Vandas though you might want to do some research beforehand, they are quite special in the sense that they can be quite large, they might come in a hanging basket with a massive root system and they need very bright light and even direct sun. They are easy and wonderful if you have some basic knowledge about them, but do your homework first, pick a great spot first and then go ahead and purchase. I can also suggest Oncidium orchids, they are easy as well, they just love more moisture than Phals and many are fragrant 😉 Feel free to ask any question on Vandas though, and this might also help http://www.orchidnature.com/vanda-and-vandaceous-hybrids-care-sheet/

Profile photo of Camille
    Camille
    Participant

Ok thanks for your advices ! I have a big south-west facing window, do you think it would give enough sunlight for the vanda? Also, do you know any variety that are a little bit more forgiving than others? I was interested in the ”patchara delight”.

For the zygos, I can’t put it outside because I live un an apartment with no backyard.

Profile photo of MissOrchidGirl
    MissOrchidGirl
    Keymaster

Yes I think that will do :) I have the Vanda Pachara Delight, you can find it in my videos, it is super easy and blooms up to 3 times a year. Cannot recommend a better one 😉

Profile photo of Leah Russell
    Leah Russell
    Participant

Bonjour Camille,
    I’m from Montreal Quebec , i’m glad to see you are here too !
    Ps: i want to grow vanda’s as well indoors , hope it is possible!!
    xox Leah

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.