Fertilizing for the first time

Home Forums General Orchid Care Fertilizing for the first time

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mayrie Mayrie 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Liz
    Liz
    Participant

Hello,

I have two small phal orchids for more than a year but I have never fertilized them. When I first got them I repotted them in a mix of bark and sphagnum moss. The roots keep drying out although they have grown new leafs. I’m hoping the problem is a lack of fertilizer. I have them in a container on top of a layer of pebbles and water to promote humidity. I’m watering once a week, I don’t think they are lacking water. I got a big phal with healthy roots and they all dried out and I had it for less than a year :(

My question is, how much fertilizer should I use with my small orchids. I will be using repotme and 1 gallon of water for two small orchids sounds excessive. Should I use just a proportional amount? Like a quarter or so? I read I should water them first and then pour the fertilizer mix. And also that I can let it sit for a while in the mix. How often should I do this? Three times a month?

Thanks for the help!

Profile photo of Mayrie
    Mayrie
    Participant

I’m no expert, but have had success with all kinds of orchids. How are you watering? Do you use the soak method or water from the top? What kind of pots do you use? When you say you use repotme fertilizer, do you mean MSU or is it something else?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.